What Is A Serum For Anti Aging, and What Do They Actually Do?
What is a serum for anti aging and what are the best serums for anti aging. This is a question I often hear, and because there are so many new trends and must-have products on the market, it can be quite confusing to know just what is what out there.
This post does contain affiliate links, which means that I will get a small commission if you decide to purchase anything.
What Exactly Is A Serum For Anti Aging, And Why?
Facial serums are lightweight moisturizers that penetrate deeper than a moisturizer would to deliver active ingredients into your skin. Serums are more ‘watery’ than moisturizers, so they are absorbed really well by the skin, as opposed to a moisturizer that often just sits on top of your skin.
Skin serums are ideally applied after cleansing, and before applying your regular moisturizer.
Serums are performance products that contain higher concentrations of active ingredients to deliver proven results.
Benefits Of Skin Serums
LESS IRRITATION: Serums are predominantly water-based and contain less comedogenic properties than conventional creams, which means they are less likely to cause irritation and breakouts.
SERUMS VS CONVENTIONAL MOISTURISERS: Since serums are designed to be efficient delivery systems, they don’t contain unnecessary artificial ingredients. Their sole purpose is to deliver active ingredients deep into the skin where other products can’t penetrate as effectively.
SORTS SKIN CONCERNS: Skin concerns like dull skin, sun damaged skin, redness, irritation, discomfort, oily skin, dehydrated skin, fine lines and wrinkles can all be helped by the use of the correct serum for your skin problems.
How To Use A Serum For Anti Aging
Cleanse, dry and tone your skin.
Apply a thin layer of serum to your skin and allow to dry for a few minutes.
Apply your regular moisturizer and sunblock.
Apply your makeup if desired.
The serum always goes onto your skin first, before you apply any other products.
Mix and Match
Most serums can be layered for multiple benefits, but remember that in most cases less is more as serums are highly concentrated.
Here is some more advice for achieving the best application:
- Always make sure to cleanse and tone the fact thoroughly before applying a serum. In fact before applying any product.
- You can layer up to three different serums. Inbetween applying, wait 60 seconds to allow for the serum to absorb into your skin.
- If layering your serums, always apply in the order of weight and consistency, with the thinnest one first. If you are not sure which is the thinnest, then apply the serum that addresses your biggest concert first eg. wrinkles, or the best serums for anti aging and then follow with the rest.
- You can alternate serums for your morning and evening routine.
- Once you have applied your serums, finish off with a high-quality day or night moisturizer to lock in the benefits of the serum.
- Remember that some ingredients in a serum can make your skin more sensitive to the sun, so always use a sunscreen of at least SPF 15 during the day.
- You can mix some of your serum into your face mask for a weekly for an extra weekly boost.
Best Serums For Anti Aging
My favorite serums are Estee Lauder and Isabella Garcia. I am not sure if these are the best serums for anti aging, but I find they do make a difference. I find serums are on the expensive side of moisturizers but are well worth it if you see the difference they make to your skin. Also, they do last a long time as you literally use a few drops a day.
Here are a few of the best serums for anti aging that you can purchase online. If you would like to find out more about the serum, simply click on the link or on the picture.
Although serums are pricey, you only need to use a few drops at a time, so a bottle will last a really long time.
Image Skincare Vital C Hydrating Anti-Aging Serum 1.7 Ounce
- This comforting serum softens the appearance of wrinkles and defends against environmental damage. Physician formulated.
- Brightens and tightens the skin. Provides moisture to the skin. Supports collagen and skin elasticity.
This comforting serum works on all skin types to soften the appearance of wrinkles, support collagen, and defend against environmental damage.
Algae extract helps to firm the skin while hyaluronic acid provides an intense plumping effect.
An ultra-effective form of vitamin C brightens, tightens and fights the visible signs of stress and fatigue that commonly appear in aging skin. Its potent antioxidant blend helps to promote a healthy skin balance and enhance the skin’s luminosity. Suitable for all skin types, including dry, dehydrated, sun-damaged, sensitive or acne-prone skin.
IMAGE Skincare is a clean and professional line backed by clinical results. Created by an esthetician, formulated by Dr. Marc Ronert, a plastic surgeon, and represented by a network of 20,000 skincare professionals. A little on the expensive side, but has some really great reviews.
Best-Selling Hyaluronic Acid Serum for Skin– 100% Pure-Highest Quality, Anti-Aging Serum– Intense Hydration + Moisture, Non-greasy, Paraben-free-Best Hyaluronic Acid for Your Face (Pro Formula) 1 oz
- Natural and Organic Hyaluronic Acid Serum that improves skin texture and brightness with intense moisture and balance.
- Hydrating facial moisturizer with 100 percent pure hyaluronic acid serum formula.
- Proven anti-aging skincare properties fill-in and diminish the look of fine lines and wrinkles
- See a noticeable difference with visibly plumper, softer and smoother skin with this anti-aging hyaluronic acid serum.
- Well priced product – affordable for all.
Fix uneven skin tone and heal dryness on your face with intense hydration. Instantly brighter complexion. Lighten dark under eye circles. Under eye puffiness treatment.
Safe product for sensitive skin, oily skin remedy; safe for all skin types. 100% pure and stable hyaluronic acid at the highest concentration, to ensure its fullest potential with maximum results. Hyaluronic Acid effectively binds water to cells and is responsible for the elasticity and resiliency of the skin.
Such properties make Hyaluronic Acid Serum effective in transforming skin to promote a healthy and balanced glow. You can read more about hyaluronic aid here.
Seoul Ceuticals Korean Skin Care – 20% Vitamin C Hyaluronic Acid Serum + CE Ferulic Acid Provides Potent Anti Aging, Anti Wrinkle Korean Beauty 1oz
- THIS KOREAN SKIN CARE VITAMIN C serum contains the same potent, active ingredients as the $160 Skinceuticals CE Ferulic Serum
- GUARANTEED TO WORK – WE PROMISE you’ll begin to see results with this K beauty product within 3 weeks when used daily
- POTENT ANTI AGING, ANTI WRINKLE serum is proven to help reduce the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines & crows feet
- THIS TOPICAL VITAMIN C ALSO helps to fade sun spots and is guaranteed to provide you with a brighter more youthful complexion
- THIS FACIAL SERUM HELPS TO shrink pores, clear up acne, prevent breakouts, and minimize the appearance of acne scars & perfect under Korean makeup.
This is one I haven’t tried, but it has some excellent reviews, a five-star rating, and the price is great.
TruSkin Vitamin C Serum for Face, Anti Aging Serum with Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin E, Organic Aloe Vera and Jojoba Oil, Hydrating & Brightening Serum for Dark Spots, Fine Lines and Wrinkles, 1 fl oz
- ANTI AGING FACE SERUM with miracle ingredients. Vitamin C blends with Botanical Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin E, Witch Hazel, and Jojoba Oil in an anti aging, skin brightening formula designed to improve wrinkles and dark spots
- PLANT-BASED FORMULATION with no added synthetic colors, fragrances, parabens, phthalates, sulfates, PEGs, or GMOs. Active botanicals combine in a silky smooth anti-aging serum that can be used day or night.
- CERTIFIED CRUELTY FREE by Leaping Bunny, our Vitamin C facial serum is also formulated, manufactured and bottled in the USA for guaranteed freshness.
- EXTENDED MANUFACTURER GUARANTEE – There is a 90 day money back guarantee.
The TruSkin range also has a matching night serum with retonol in it to go with this one.
So my aim in this post was to answer what is a serum for anti aging and what the best serums for anti aging are. I hope I have done my job. Please feel free to comment below if you have anything to add.
One thing I know is that I couldn’t do without my skin serum.
I have been searching for a serum for my face i do not like buying something that does not work, my wrinkles have crept up on me and i really don’t like it(who does)
So coming across this post will help me out:)
The vital c looks as if this could be the one for me:)
I did not know anything about serums until now so thanks for the interesting read:)
I loved that serum, but did find it a bit pricey – its a real spoil if you can afford it.
I’ve been having all sorts of skin issues with my hormones going a bit nuts lately. I’ve gained a considerable amount of wrinkles over the past few years, and I kind of wish I had started with a serum earlier. Do you know if any of these reverse the effects of wrinkles that already exist? Or are they just for further aging? Also, do you have a recommendation for one that won’t be a problem using with an acne treatment? Thanks for your help and advice!
Serums are known to improve the look of wrinkles and fine lines. The more hydrated your skin is, the less wrinkled you look, so it is never too late to start.
It shouldn’t be a problem to use with acne treatment, just check with your doctor first. Make sure to get a serum for an oily skin, and not one for dry skin if you suffer with this.
All the best.