As we get older, some of us may experience sleep issues of some sort. This is mainly due to hormonal imbalances, and here we are going to look at weighted blankets adults can use to overcome this problem.
What Is A Weighted Blanket?
A weighted blanket is exactly what it sounds like. It’s a blanket with extra weight in it.
A weighted blanket normally has compartments filled with sand or polyfill that you can put over you when you go to bed.
The weight of the blanket over you gives you a protected feeling and helps you sleep better without getting too hot.
Some weighted blankets are designed as one-piece, where the outer layer is also the weighted layer. However, what has become more popular is to have a weighted blanket be two separate pieces, just like a duvet.
What Is A Weighted Blanket Good For?
Weighted blankets adults can use have proved to help many ailments including the following:
- Sleep Disorders
- Any Sort of Chronic Pain
- Restless Leg Syndrome
In the past, people thought weighted blankets were only for children, but in fact, adults can benefit just as much from them.
How Heavy Should Weighted Blankets Adults Use Be?
The size of your weighted blanket varies based on who you are buying the blanket for.
The general rule for weighted blankets adults should use is ten percent of their body weight plus between 2 and 4 kgs. However, if you are a really heavy adult, you may battle to find a weighted blanket over 25 pounds or 12 kilograms.
What Is The Science Behind Weighted Blankets Adults Can Use?
The main benefit here is increased relaxation due to the deep touch pressure (DTP) that the weighted blanket provides.
DTP is all about applying pressure gently to the body which in turn releases natural serotonin within your body.
Serotonin, as you already know, is a chemical in the body that promotes relaxation.
This study from the Journal of Sleep Medicine and Disorders from 2015 found that a weighted blanket helped those with insomnia sleep better.
Weighted Blankets are not only use for sleep. You can also use them when you read, relax or meditate.
How To Order Weighted Blankets Adults Can Use Online
Here are some great weighted blankets adults will find perfect and you can purchase them online. Simply click on the link or the picture to find out more about the products.
Weighted Blankets Adults can use are pricey, but they last years if well cared for and are well worth the wonderful nights of rest you get using them.
YnM Weighted Blanket (17 lbs, 60”x80”, Queen Size) | Gravity 2.0 Heavy Blanket | 100% Cotton Material with Glass Beads | Great Sleep Therapy for People with Anxiety, Autism, ADHD, Insomnia or Stress
- A removable duvet cover is highly recommended for easier cleaning. Please Search Ynm Duvet Cover to find the correponding cover for Ynm Weighted Blanket. There is a discount available if purchased together.
- The original YnM weighted blanket offers great sleep therapy for adults and kids with anxiety, autism, ADHD, insomnia or stress by offering the gentle sensation of being held to encourage deep, healthy, restful sleep.
- YnM own the ability to produce a unique 7-layer weighted blanket. Our 7-layer system is designed to comfortably surround your body and form to your shape while you sleep.
- More glass beads & Less fiber fill design offers better temperature control.
- YnM provides an EXCLUSIVE 3 YEAR WARRANTY. 100% Customers Satisfaction is guaranteed. No Hassle Return.
- Dry clean only, which is why a cover is recommended.
- For 3 years, if unexpected damage happens, free mending is done.
This blanket is the only one you will need as it keeps your body temperature constant.
Go to sleep peacefully with the feeling that you are being gently hugged and wake up feeling refreshed.
“This is perfect for hot sleepers, people with Hot flashes etc. I have struggled to find a weighted blanket that would not leave me sweating profusely.
Returned 3 others. then I found this one. PRAISE BE! and the fabric is so soft and glass beads so even. Super kudos to YnM!”
Premium Weighted Blanket, Perfect Size 60″ x 80″ and Weight(12lb) for Adults and Children. Deluxe CALMFORTER Blanket Relieves Anxiety, Stress, Agitation, Insomnia. Price Includes Cover!
All of our blankets are designed in the USA by a team of highly skilled healthcare professionals.
Evenflow employs Stardust Minibead 100% Glass Beads combined with CloudSoft Polyfill for better overall weight distribution and a more calming, comfortable and quiet relaxation experience.
We only sell our blankets as a complete 2 part system- an inner weighted section and an outer cover.
2 part blankets simply last longer and are also far more comfortable than a 1 part blanket. .
Our innovative, reversible cover design means you get to choose your therapy.
Position the velvety soft smooth side against your body for warmer sleeping or try position the luxurious SensaCool Dot side against your body for cooler sleeping. Some weighted blankets can be hot! Only Calmforter blankets feature SensaCool technology to beat the heat.
“I hesitated to purchase this because of the $$$.
After reading the reviews and articles about the use of weighted blankets I decided to give it a try.
I would be a perfect candidate for a sleep study. I have night terrors, talk in my sleep and often suffer from insomnia and twitching legs. I do not not like to take sleep aids as they give me a hung over feeling the next day.
I also suffer anxiety and depression which are probably the cause of my sleep problems.
I ordered this in the 12 lb size. It is perfect for my queen size bed. It covers the top of the bed with no overhang. As heavy and thick as it is I would not want it to over hang. It does not hamper the appearance of the made bed. It is probably the only blanket I will need in the winter. It may be too hot for summer use if you don’t have air conditioning. It is also probably too hot if you sleep with someone.
A lot of complaints were about the ties. I think they have changed them as mine had loops and long ties to secure the inside. There is a loop in the middle but no ties. If it begins to shift I will simply sew some ties to the cover and add loops to the blanket.
I have slept through the night and awakened with no stiffness, aches or pains. I now awake feeling rested.
It is soft and feels luxurious.
I cannot say enough good about this blanket.”
Weighted Idea Weighted Blanket Set | 20 lbs | 48”x78” | Grey Rhombus | for Adults | Occupational Therapy for Anxiety, Insomnia, Agitation, Autism, ADHD | Fit Queen/Full Sized Bed
- Weighted Inner Layer (Random Color) With Removable Quilted Duvet Cover for Easy Cleaning.
- Healthy Natural Sleep Remedy – Most researches show a weighted blanket engineered to be around 10% of your body weight can naturally relax the nervous system and reduce stress by simulating the feeling of being held or hugged (Deep Touch Sense).
- WI Weighted Inner Layer have combined with 100% Premuim Cotton Fabric and Thin Cotton Filler, which is more breathable and cooler to body. The whole blanket is suitable for summer. A fan or airconditioner is recommended for the hot sleeper in summer.
- WI Weighted Inner Layer have adopted new sew processes: 1 The pockets are smaller and evenly filled with non-toxic, hypoallergenic, eco-friendly sand-size pellets that can provide even pressure to entire body. 2. An extra lining has been added to the blanket, which helps avoid leakage. You never have to worry about waking up in a mess.
- 100% CUSTOMER SATISFACTION GUARANTEE – If for any reason you’re unhappy with your purchase, we offer a full refund— no questions asked!
“This blanket is wonderful. I suffer from neuropathy due to an autoimmune disease. My Rheumatologist reccomended I try a weighted blanket to help aid in my sleep.
I find this blanket has increased my quality of sleep and lessened my nightly pain. The only complaint I really have about the blanket is that when I removed it from the packaging, it had a bit of a chemical smell.
I’m sure it’s due to the beads inside. After a few days of letting it air out it was fine. I highly recommend this to anyone who suffers from chronic pain.”
Please feel free to comment if you have a weighted blanket and would like to add anything that might help readers to make good choices.